Skip Navigation

Replacing Lost, Stolen, or Damaged Immigration Documents

We recommend that you keep your immigration documents safe and in good condition at all times. If any of your documents have been lost, stolen, or damaged, please review the information below and follow the necessary steps.



To arrange for passport replacement, you will need to contact your embassy or consulate in the US. The required application process and processing times will vary based on the specific replacement procedures for your country of citizenship. If your passport was stolen, we recommend that you file a police report with the SBU Police Department and submit the report with your replacement request. Once your passport is replaced, please provide a copy to VIS by submitting the Immigration Document Update request in accessVIS.



Your visa will not be replaced when you obtain a new passport. Since the purpose of a visa stamp is to allow entry to the US, it is not problematic if you do not have a valid visa in your new passport. However, the next time you depart the US, you will need to make arrangements to apply for a new visa prior to requesting re-entry to the US.


US Entry Stamp in Passport or I-94 Form

While you will not be able to replace your US entry stamp, you may be able to assess information about your most recent entry to the US at If your most recent entry information is not available in this system, please contact your advisor to discuss options for replacing this document.


Form I-20 or DS-2019 (for individuals in F or J status)

Visa and Immigration Services (VIS) can issue a replacement I-20 if yours is lost, damaged, or stolen.  Reprinted documents are tracked in SEVIS by the Department of Homeland Security, so you should request a replacement only if yours has indeed been lost, stolen, or damaged.

To request a replacement I-20, you'll need to report your I-20 lost or stolen at a local Police Station and request a copy of the filed police report. Once you’ve obtained the police report submit the Report Lost/Damaged I-20 request in accessVIS.

What is Police Report? - A police report is a written document prepared after a crime or accident is reported to law enforcement.  Depending on the nature of the incident, a police report may be a simple one-page document or may contain multiple pages.  Reports typically indicate the name the victim, what occurred, where the incident took place, and other pertinent data.

Note: If Stony Brook did not issue your immigration document, please contact the institution/entity that is sponsoring your program to request a replacement (and when you receive the replacement, bring a copy to VIS).


Employment Authorization Document (EAD)

If you have an EAD that was issued by USCIS, you may eligible to apply for a replacement document. Please contact your VIS advisor for more information.