Skip Navigation

J-1 Students

The J-1 student category is an alternate immigration option for students who receive qualifying financial sponsorship or who are participating in a formal university exchange program. Once we receive the required admission, biographical, and financial documentation, you will receive a Stony Brook issued Form DS-2019.


To be eligible for J-1 student status, you must be admitted to or enrolled in a full-time degree or non-degree program. You may qualify if you are financially sponsored by your home government, if you receive substantial funding from scholarships, or if you are at SBU as part of a formal exchange program.

Length of Permitted Stay

As a student in J-1 status, you are admitted to the U.S. for “D/S” (duration of status)—this allows you to stay until the end date reflected on your Form DS-2019, as long as you enrolled in and complete full course of study each required term, maintain legal status, and a SEVIS record in good standing. If you finish your program early, your DS-2019 will be adjusted. At the end of your program, J-1 status permits a 30-day grace period for you to prepare for departure from the U.S..


Limited work permission is available for on-campus employment and off-campus placements related to your major field of study. Qualifying family members may be eligible for J-2 dependent status.

The intent of the Exchange Visitor Program is for the home country to benefit from the J-1 Exchange Visitor’s experiences in the U.S. Accordingly, J-1 Exchange Visitors and their accompanying J-2 dependents may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement.