Maintaining J-1 Status
It is the responsibility of each student to be familiar with the immigration requirements
related to their status. Following the guidelines below will help you to maintain
your lawful J-1 Status while in the U.S. Below is a summary of basic guidelines,
for more detailed information or for specific questions related to your status please
contact your International Student advisor.
MAINTAIN VALID IMMIGRATION DOCUMENTS FOR YOU & YOUR DEPENDENTS
- Passport that is valid for at least six months beyond the program end date on your DS-2019 form. (If you need to renew your passport, contact the appropriate embassy for instructions.)
- Valid DS-2019 form. Request an extension of the DS-2019 document from your program sponsor at least 30 days before the end date on the DS-2019 document if you will need additional time to complete your program. You must receive approval from your program sponsor before changing your major or degree level.
- Valid I-94 with “Class of Admission” indicating “J-1” or “J-2” and “Admit Until Date” indicating a valid date or “D/S”.
REPORT CHANGES TO YOUR LOCAL ADDRESS & CONTACT INFORMATION
Report your local U.S. address, local phone number and personal email address to VIS during your Immigration Intake & Check-In. Be sure to report changes to your contact information within 10 days.
Changing Your Foreign Home Address: Students must report any changes to their Foreign Home address to VIS by submitting the Foreign Address Update eform in accessVIS. Once submitted, VIS will report your new address to SEVIS.
Changing Your On-Campus Address: Students who live on-campus should follow up with Campus Residences in regard to updating their Dormitory Address in SOLAR, so the accurate information can be reported to SEVIS.
Changing Your Local/Off Campus Address: As of March 1, 2019 all changes to U.S. local (off campus) address must be done in SOLAR. Please follow the steps below to report your local address in SOLAR.
- Login to SOLAR with your Stony Brook University ID number and password.
- Go to Security and Personal Data then click Addresses .
- Select Add A New Address to add your local (off campus) address. Even if your address is listed as "Home" or "Mailing", you must still add it as your "Local" address.
- Verify your address information, and select "Local" under Address Type .
- Click Save , then OK. Your local address should now appear.
MAINTAIN FULL-TIME ENROLLMENT
- You must be enrolled in and complete full course of study each required term.
- Classes that are delivered through online and distance education methods cannot be used to satisfy the full course of study or full-time prescribed course of study requirements for exchange visitors in the J-1 college and university student category.
GET PROPER EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION BEFORE WORKING
- You must receive permission for both on-campus & off-campus employment from your sponsor prior to accepting any employment.
MAINTAIN HEALTH INSURANCE COVERAGE FOR YOU & YOUR DEPENDENTS
- You and your dependents must obtain and maintain health insurance that meets J-1 federal guidelines for the entire length of your stay.
GET A TRAVEL SIGNATURE FOR ANY TRAVEL OUTSIDE OF THE U.S.
- Before your departure from the U.S., request a signature for re-entry from the program sponsor.
- The signature is valid for one year or until the end date of your J-1 program, which ever is sooner.
REPORT EARLY COMPLETION OR WITHDRAWAL FROM YOUR PROGRAM
- If for some reason you are not able to complete your academic program, you must notify your program sponsor of your plans to leave the University.
- If your J-1 program is sponsored by Stony Brook University, you must submit the Ending My J-1 Status eform in accessVIS