Skip Navigation

Traveling Outside of the United States:

When reentering the U.S. after traveling outside of the country, you must be prepared to show the Border Patr ol the foll owing documents:

    • Original DS-2019 signed for travel within the last 12 months
    • Passport (Valid 6-month into Future)
    • Valid J-1 Visa Stamp (if applicable)
  • Proof of Enrollment
    • Undergrads: Enrollment Verification from the Registrar
    • Graduates: Good Standing Letter from your department

In order to reenter the US after traveling outside of the country you must have a travel signature on your DS-2019 - this signature confirms that you are a full-time student maintaining lawful status. To obtain a travel signature please submit the Travel Signature Request form in accessVIS, then come to Visa and Immigration Services during designated Travel Signature Days with your passport, I-94 card/electronic print out and Form DS-2019.

Traveling Within the U.S.:

If you are planning a trip within the United States it is important that you have your DS-2019, passport, visa and Stony Brook ID card with you for ALL distance travel, even travel within New York State.

You and your dependents may be surprised to learn that federal law requires that you carry "registration" documentation at all times. This includes a basic identification documents such as a passport, current DS-2019 and I-94. For day-to-day purposes, we suggest you keep these documents in a secure location, such as a fire-proof deposit box. However, if you are traveling within the U.S. you should carry these documents with you, as proof of your status may be required before boarding when traveling by air, train, bus, or ship.



  • J-1 students with expired U.S. visas who are traveling to Canada, Mexico or adjacent islands for up to 30 days, who will not be applying for a new U.S. visa while there, AND who will be resuming their studies upon their return should NOT surrender their I-94 card (if applicable).  Discuss this with an International Student Adviser before traveling.
  • Canadian or Mexican nationals returning to their home country should surrender their I-94 card as they enter their country, and obtain a new I-94 card when returning to the U.S.
  • Canadian nationals should be sure to carry with them their financial documentation that verifies the information on their SEVIS Form I-20 when returning to the United States.
  • If you are applying for a change of non-immigrant status, have an immigration petition or EAD card application pending, be sure to carry your U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) receipt notice (green Form I-797). This notice proves that you have an application pending with USCIS.


Frequently Asked Questions: